[AusRace] After prawns - Darts and the Jesuit

L.B.Loveday lloveday at ozemail.com.au
Wed Sep 18 19:56:03 AEST 2019

".. bordered on cheating.."!

There were tens of $millions legally bet on the various results of the Cape Town Test, and punters are entitled to assume the results are fairly determined and not dependent on the success or not of cheats. What they did was an attempt to change the result of a game by illegal actions. No matter which way it is spun - "ball-tampering" and other euphemisms - it was attempted match-fixing.

Part of those $millions are paid to CA for the right to bet on "their product" and goes into the pool from which these cricketers are paid. Betting on the game also encourages those who have bet to watch, increasing the ratings & thus increasing the value of television rights, a big part of CA's income. And Bookmakers advertise extensively during Test broadcasts (so I' told), adding to the value of TV rights.

Part of the players' payments is by way of performance bonuses, which would be bigger if they won, thus they attempted "dishonestly obtaining financial advantage by deception" - a criminal offence - as they tried to illegally affect the results of the game (more wickets, more quickly, greater chance of winning) when succeeding could have meant bigger bonuses. Also, sponsors are willing to pay more for successful players - the more successful, the more sponsorship they get.

Far from being harshly treated as so many say, I consider them lucky to not be criminally charged. Cronje got life for match-fixing (I don't see that it matters that he got a direct payment while theirs is not so obvious in $$ terms, but as I have outlined above, success at cheating would have led to a financial advantage).

Two men were jailed over the Fine Cotton affair and far less money was bet on that race than on the Cape Town Test; I honestly cannot see that what those 2 did was deserving of criminal sanction while the cricketers' actions got a relative slap on the wrist.

Smith condoned cheating then initially lied when caught out; that's the Australian Captain whom PM Howard described as the pinnacle of Australian leadership rather than the PM, but who cheated with malice of forethought, lied about it and disgraced Australia.

If every other country and every player from every other country cheated, that would not in the least excuse what they did.

LBL