[AusRace] Synthetic track stats

Robert Ford kernow.fords at ntlworld.com
Fri Mar 17 00:30:15 AEDT 2017

Steve,

Take :

Sire

AW A/E

Turf A/E

Ratio

Royal Academy(USA)

1.02

0.60

1.70

The A/E ratio (Achieved over Expected from the Odds) makes Royal Academy’s OK on the synthetic but an underachiever (or over-bet) on the Turf.

The Ration 1.70 shows how much better offspring are on the synthetics than the turf.

At the bottom of the list:

Mull of Kintyre(USA)

0.52

1.06

0.49

Indicates the reverse. Mull of Kintyre’s are very poor on the synthetics but OK on the turf.

If there were no difference between synthetics and turf, then the A/E numbers would tend towards being equal.

So RA would tend to be a 0.81 on both surfaces and MOK a 0.79, but they are polar opposites on these surfaces.

Breeding, conformation and energy production rates make horses better at different course configurations, going, distances , surface, humidity and pace.

You can produce A/E tables for each of those factors. I have just given the example for what you asked.

What is valid for UK courses won’t be so valid for Aus courses – due to the huge differences in conditions.

We find it very useful for estimating how a horse might perform first time out on AW or turf after only racing on the other one of those surfaces.

Horses are often over or under-bet in such circumstances.

Robert