[AusRace] They never let up re crops, do they?

L.B.Loveday lloveday at ozemail.com.au
Tue Dec 4 20:24:49 AEDT 2018

Phil,

The "silly old bugger" comment was made a long time ago - it's 41 years since Desirable won the Newmarket, and Robbie's (I no longer know whether it was Robertson or Robinson - Jones is much easier to remember!) son was already an adult. Apart from the fact he stood still and got run over, he got done over by the ATO for back taxes on his winnings (as have ZR and Walsh in well-published recent cases). Problem was he'd made a property settlement with his wife and the ATO said he and only he was liable for the tax, despite her share being from punting winnings; unfair I reckon!

Some people are good at making money, some at managing, some at both, some at neither; they say Don Scott died broke, that Terry Page retired from bookmaking only 3 years after shifting to the Gold Coast, due to stress caused by losing, and A.A. (Tony) Hains , RIP (2015) who you'll remember, was declared bankrupt….. But what great lives they had (imo).

I'll be working until the day I die I figure (after all I'm on formal wife #4 and none have ever done paid work). The author of one of the books I've proof-read (that's as close as I'll go to writing one Nick) said when I professed a dread of having a non-fatal stroke "Huh, you! You'd be still there punching the keyboard with your nose".

I've never had much interest in racing per se - don't watch many, know less about horses/jockeys/tracks than the average front bar punter, don't even know the sex of many jockeys as in most cases my database records them as eg NBeriman (but MichelPayne because there are more than one MPayne - by the way she's shot up lately, but is still in the bottom 15% by my ratings since Weir won the MC). Years ago I said to an erstwhile Ausracer that NBeriman had improved :his rating". "Her" he corrected me.

LBL