[AusRace] Ducks way - a system

Tony Moffat tonymoffat at bigpond.com
Sun May 29 23:40:17 AEST 2022

'Duck' had farmed at Woosang but as the family grew the farm stayed confined
inside the 100 year old fences until there simply wasn't a tractor left over
for him, no sheep to shear, steers to toss, heifers to mark and brand and
pretty much he had to leave the place to make a living. He worked on the
channels around there for a few months and years then a prospective employer
said if you had a powder monkeys licence you're in, so he did and that is
where we met - monkey school, blowing things up, keeping the lines in
series, always, calculating rock density, charge depth, everything
associated with making a lot of gas, quickly, electrically.

He liked a bet and to that end he bought a 'system', paid 8 pounds for it in
the years before I was known to him, 8 pounds and postage too from an ad in
a magazine, 'Referee'?

Anyway, this day we were talking outside the Tote in a town where we had
been sponsored for further training in the gentle art of blowing things up
and Duck mentioned he had a system and I was interested.

He took the weight allocated to the horse and rider, in stones and pounds
and multiplied that by the pre race price and he bet the few of them that
had the lesser value after the multiplication. That's what Duck said and
I'll simplify it for you soon.

In the paper, on this day, the race fields showed the horse number, name,
weight, and price and it was my suggestion that Duck rank the weights, from
the top weight down, as in 1,2,3 and of course repeating the ranking when
necessary, as in 1, 2,3,3,3,4,4,5 in an 8 race field then do the same with
the corresponding prices to the effect that if the short price corresponded
with weight rank 5 then this would have the value of 5 and 1. You then
multiplied these values together, to get  5, obviously. But what value went
first, weight? Or price? The inclusion of both was obvious, but if there is
a difference/differential between price (say 7th, and weight (say 1st or
second) what then? I don't know how the author resolved that, and Duck said
what? when I asked, just times one by the other, he said.

That was not for Duck however, no way, he converted the weight, in kgs, to
stones and pounds then he multiplied that poundage by the pre-race price and
he bet the few of them that had the lesser value after multiplication. I did
not see the system, the papers I mean, just heard what Duck was doing,
truthful to the author and method no matter.

Some examples - using my suggestion
BR 1 Pick 1,2,6,9 - 1st, 2nd, and 3rd
BR 2 Pick 3, 1+4, 12,16 - 1st (but ugly)
BR 3 Pick 1+2, 7, 4, 3 - 1st (but ugly)
BR 4 Loss - no winner but 2nd and 3rd
BR 5 Pick 1, 6, 2+9 - 1st
BR 6 Loss - no winner but 2nd 3rd