[AusRace] Lord's Prayer 3

Tony Moffat tonymoffat at bigpond.com
Fri Jun 24 15:16:13 AEST 2022

 His business with us was in the $40 range, the lower end of an average. We
wrote one, one only, and other selections in that race he backed elsewhere,
likely with the Tote at the $10 window

$100 by anyone was a serious bet in our ring.

Some went bigger, most didn't, which was the betting strata we dealt with. A
lot seemed to follow the money - wait for for Kolingaras, the Dukes members,
the Reads, Trevenas, and some others associated with stables to go from
stand to stand and back what they had backed.

Mr Lord did form then backed his selections especially if they were less
than 8/1 ($9).

While we didn't farnarcle too much with the odds, it might be showing 6's
but if it had been 8's you could maybe get 8's for a decent stump, just ask
me.

Actually, that was everybody/anybody who asked. It infuriated some stands on
the other side, we weren't being serious, we weren't part of the monopoloy.
Not sure that we were selling tangible somethings when every runner has a
probability, smaller or larger, you plonk on one and we have the remainder
running for us. Don't worry if you win, that just means that other
contingencies don't win and if they total more than yours, well, we pay you
and we pay ourself too.

*If Mr Lords selection was showing 4's, or less than 8's at most, when he
backed it and it shortened this only hardened his opinion of its worth.

 To this end he said he might have a part of his $40 for a place on the
tote.

 He seemed to add $40 each time he bet, each race then, and put his own
money, from a betting bank situation, on as his main bet, then took his $40
addition, each race too, and went after his selection a little more, win or
place as I said.

Doing that, with that breed of odds, he was often 'on the money' meaning a
div often and hopefully more often a win.

He seemed adept at doing that, backing them at their best.

 His office was the jarrah seat around the tree at the side of our ring,
closest to us, and between me and the café and we were both tea drinkers,
and smokers, and I had 8 minutes or so between settling and selling again.
He was finitely busy when you looked for him, head down, calculator up, form
sheet open, pencil at the ready and scribbling. I bought us a mug of tea
after the 6th and he didn't seem to stop scribbling as I approached, just
tapped where he wanted the mug put, then tapped elsewhere for me to sit.
Mind you I was chained to 8 to $12k (ok,on a good day), had to drink my tea,
importantly have two smokes in succession quickly, talked up, or down, his
nominated selection as if I had an investigated opinion, like him, then
excuse myself to take the first bets on the next. After the race I returned
to my tea mug then went to the settling side to await 'weights right' when
Marie and I paid over and the punters rejoiced. Risk takers (or punters in
this environment) seemed to be on a corrugated iron profile of emotions on
race day, highs and lows, lows and highs, and perhaps there needs to be an
order made, when in front, stop, if losing, leave.

Not sure what happened, he was there during the week and I wasn't there one
weekend due to a commitment back in NSW, and the next racing day he was gone
and stayed off as well. It just seemed colder, wetter, quiet and still with
him gone. Sure, the other characters remained, those that dressed different,
acted different, are different but nobody took his place, at least not for
solidness, not for outward showing intelligence, not for predictability, as
in 'Mr Lord will back this, you watch'. One less mug of tea to buy I guess

So, if his selection was showing less than $9 he was on it, it seemed. If it
shortened later, good, great in his opinion. He might have another go at $7
say, and take his protected winning bet up over, back over, the $9 again by
having a place bet on the thing. It seems like, and reads like a false
economy but that was how he did it, and wouldn't discuss why, or why not.
Just diverted the conversation with a 'Nuh" and wondered if they had scones,
and were they warm.

Another way, perhaps

Cheers

Tony