[AusRace] (no subject)

L.B.Loveday lloveday at ozemail.com.au
Sat Feb 27 11:24:44 AEDT 2021

A bit like Geoffrey Hutson's approach outlined in his books.

Meet Lizzie Jelfs, the people's punting champion that moves markets

One of the most influential voices in Sydney racing is the darling of
bettors around Australia with her trusty iPhone delivering longshot winners.

Ray Thomas

5 min read

February 27, 2021 - 9:41AM

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
<https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/superracing/meet-lizzie-jelfs-the-p
eoples-punting-champion-that-moves-markets/news-story/af9277a2cefb9dd41c5542
9f5fd50cf2#share-tools>

<https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/superracing/meet-lizzie-jelfs-the-p
eoples-punting-champion-that-moves-markets/news-story/af9277a2cefb9dd41c5542
9f5fd50cf2#share-tools> 0 comments

Lizzie Jelfs and her microphone moves betting markets. Picture: Mark
Evans/Getty Images

When Lizzie Jelfs makes her pre-race selections from birdcages around Sydney
racetracks, punters listen. Her opinion can have as much influence on the
betting market as the biggest punters.

She studies the form, track conditions and other variables but relies more
on her expert eye and encyclopaedic knowledge of each horse to find a winner
- comparing the equine giants parading in front of her with hundreds of
images and videos of horses stored on her phone for reference on their
condition, fitness and improvement since she last clocked them.

Jelfs, who is an integral part of Sky Thoroughbred Central's Sydney race day
coverage, uses all this information to often nominate a longshot as her tip.
And too often gets it right to be a fluke.

So, how does she do it?

Lizzie Jelfs and her keen eye rarely miss a clue in the yard. Picture: Mark
Evans/Getty Images

"I profile every horse from the first time I lay eyes on them,'' Jelfs said.

"I look at their physique, manners, their walk, everything about them so I
can learn as much as I can about them from each run.

"If I haven't seen a horse before, it can play against me. But because I
know most of the Sydney horses so well, I can back myself to say if they
have improved.''

Jelfs said there are certain telltale signs she looks for in every horse
before making her selections.

"Change in behaviour is a big one for me,'' she said.

"If you see a horse that is usually quite relaxed and they are worked up
before a race, then often they don't run as well as they can.

"The physical appearance of a horse is obviously important. A trainer often
says their horse is bigger and stronger this preparation. That might not
make that horse any faster but it does make them easier to train.

"They recover faster from a race and they can have more work put into them
so they can be fitter again.

"But the most important factor, I think, is a horse's coat. You can see
everything in their coat.

"They can still run well if they don't have a good coat on them - but I find
they are few and far between. If their coat is just a little bit off, they
won't be at their very best.

"If you have four horses at the same level, if one has their coat that has
come through, that horse will invariably run better than the other three.''

LIZZIE'S LOOK AT RANDWICK

Chipping Norton Stakes

"Kolding is at his peak now while Verry Elleegant and Colette could be a bit
vulnerable second-up,'' Jelfs said. "Those two mares always sprint well
fresh and Verry Elleegant is bigger and stronger this time around. I'm sure
she has taken quite a lot of benefit from her first-up run.

"Colette is one of the best wet-trackers I've seen - bar Winx. I thought
Verry Elleegant was good in the wet but Colette seems to be on another
level. But I'm interested in Kolding. If the track is drying, he is the one
to beat.

Liverpool City Cup

"I'm looking forward to seeing Criaderas, he's a really nice horse.''

Jelfs hails from Oxford in England and although she doesn't come from a
racing family, she had a love of horses from a young age and rode at the
same pony club as leading Sydney jockey Rachel King.

But although Jelfs had ambitions of becoming a jockey, she was unable to
follow her dream for an unusual reason - she was too small!

"When I started working at the stables of Charlie Egerton at Lambourn, I
only weighed 45kg,'' she said.

"Charlie trained jumpers and he couldn't give me a go as I just wasn't big
enough.

"I wanted to be a jockey but Charlie was saying it is not the right life for
me.''

It was also difficult for female jockeys to break into English racing at the
time - this was the reason King eventually moved to Sydney - so Jelfs
decided to go on a working holiday to Australia nearly two decades ago and
never left.

She joined the stables of Hall of Fame trainer David Hayes, where she rode
work at Flemington before eventually taking over his Sydney satellite stable
at Randwick.

"David was a great teacher,'' Jelfs said. "With his set-up in those days,
horses would often come from Adelaide to Melbourne and you would have to
learn them by sight.

"After 17 years working for David, I think it has 'prepped' me for this
job.''

It was Hayes who also saw an opportunity for Jelfs to work in the media and
recommended she apply for a presenter's role in Melbourne.

Lizzie Jelfs with Husson Lightning at the Gold Coast in 2007. Picture: Peter
Wallis

Jelfs was on air two weeks later and this led her to eventually joining Sky
Racing in Sydney.

"I love it,'' Jelfs said. "I can get my racing fix every day.

"I love being able to impart my knowledge and maybe soften the broadcast a
bit. It is still very focused on punting and I also bring that punting
element, but I do try to highlight the athletes in this sport.

"The jockeys are amazing, the track riders, and trainers, but for me what
has got me into racing is my love of the thoroughbred.''

Sydney's autumn carnival has its unofficial start at Royal Randwick today
with the return of Group 1 racing including the $600,000 Chipping Norton
Stakes, which means more punters and race fans will be tuning into Channel
528 for the live coverage - and Jelfs's mounting yard selections.

She started work on today's Randwick meeting when nominations came out last
Monday, then began her serious form study when the final fields and barrier
draws were announced on Wednesday. It's her weekly ritual.

Jelfs has developed a deserved reputation for regularly finding longshot
winners but doesn't let the pressure and expectation to find the shock
selection cloud her judgment.

"The only pressure I feel is to give the best information possible because
I'm very aware that people are betting,'' Jelfs said.

"If I am giving people information, I want it to be the right information.
Authenticity is important.

"I used to get some backlash on Twitter, but I feel I have been accepted
more now as people understand I'm trying to give information to them.''

WHAT MAKES LIZZIE SO GOOD

Andrew Georgiou - TAB

"You only have to look at when she does give her selection as the Pick of
the Yard, more often than not that horse will firm straight away. There are
punters out there who are listening and waiting for her selections - she is
the people's champion.''

Ron Dufficy - Sky Thoroughbred Central form expert

"If a horse is resuming from a spell, you would be amazed at the data Lizzie
on her phone about that horse. I was asking about Verry Elleegant before she
resumed and Lizzie had images of the mare from last year and at trials to
point out the physical changes. Lizzie is a horsewoman but she knows her
form.''

More Coverage

Ray and Duff: Superstar mare
<https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/superracing/randwick-tips-ray-thoma
s-and-ron-dufficys-best-bets-and-analysis/news-story/af3af7eac7bed1969d92eec
7e7e387f9> 's Verry best to come Australia
<https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/superracing/top-jockey-jamie-kah-ha
iled-as-australian-racings-new-queen-locker-room/news-story/2cf14f385332c2de
1ad438e2d0f71f5a> 's new queen of the racetrack

Greg Radley - Sky Thoroughbred Central host

"I think what makes Lizzie so good is her delivery. She speaks the language
of punters, whether they are experienced or inexperienced. Her grasp of
individual horses is quite incredible.''