[AusRace] The Bookmaker - calculations in racing

Tony Moffat tonymoffat at bigpond.com
Sat Oct 19 12:43:54 AEDT 2019

Or is it a system?
This was distributed by Equestrian Publishing and is a well-made book (many
are not so well made) with proper binding. The author(s) are unknown.

Each runner is evaluated under many form rules, a value decided and applied,
and the whole form line summed and compared with the others.

Various weights/values are attributed to each item examined. 'Raced within
14 days' has a value of 150 so that each runner which has that attribute
shares
in a positive 150, say 10 runners, and  each get a score of 15. Runners who
have not raced within 14 days get a negative value, say 4 runners, so they
each get minus 37.5.

Placed in first 4 last start has a value of 175. Won on the course has a low
value, won over the distance (anywhere) has a high value. The jockey share
100
Weight is scored  out of 95.

There are calculations and corrections for each handicapping factor
mentioned. These are
Raced within 28 days
Raced within 14 days
Won in last 3 starts
Placed in last 3 starts
Placed in first 4 last start
Won on course
Won over distance
Can handle track conditions (low score)
Barrier positions (low score)
Acceptable jockey
Weight
Down in class
Up in class
And of course the pre-post market

There are blank worksheets in the book and each of my copies (I have three)
have assiduously applied workouts on some of the pages.
01/09/1979 Rosehill R2 when Jewel Flight, Gay Colleen, Tialinta were
selected by this method.

There is no explanation as to how the various values were decided, from 20
to 175 overall, each varied.

It must have been tedious, and seemed so scientific I'm sure in the mid
'70's.

Today I would calculate an impact value(relative frequency) and apply the
score to those over 1 (neutral) and those under.

Today
Caulfield Cup Hartnell, Vow and Declare, Mustajeer, The Chosen One.
Everest: Classique Legend,Trekking,Pierate, Santa Ana Lane.
For information only.

Cheers

Tony

--