[AusRace] Deduction farce

L.B.Loveday lloveday at ozemail.com.au
Wed May 15 10:58:50 AEST 2019

If the punters were paid $1.00 for #1 and #3, it still remains a travesty,
showing that the deductions do not work as they should, as indicated by
Sportsbet offering 1.20 & 1.09 in their adjusted markets, to the same 359%
as pre-scratching, which are infinitely better than 1.00.

When I was betting in the ring, the deductions were announced as "For the
win, x% from the face value of the ticket and for the place y% from winnings
only", which ensured every winning place ticket won. I don't know whether
the same still applies, but do know that no similar order is made wrt
corporates, as they all make their own determinations, often varying
dramatically - 27% vs 24% is to me wrong, but far from the greatest
discrepancy I've seen.

If you look around, you can find a list of deductions, but they vary -
without searching for wide discrepancies, the deductions for the scratching
of an even-money shot are:

Sportsbet  40% Win, 22% 3-place, 32% 2-place, while Sportingbet has 42, 25,
35, TAB 47, 25, 35

For a 12/1 pop, B365 claim they make no deduction, TAB 7%, Sportsbet 4%,
Sportingbet 5%...

But it can be far worse as they get to determine the odds of the scratched
horse. I don't have an acceptable solution that does not involve a
bureaucracy cost for that issue, but surely the deduction tables should be
standard.

TAB just pay whatever they deem you are due, and as far as I've been able to
tell, never show the deduction, leaving you to calculate, eg, 528/550 = 0.96
so the deduction was 4%, go to their table and try to determine what price
they deemed the scratching to be.

There were 3 late scratchings in one race and B365 paid me less a massive
deduction, I rang asking for the deduction breakdown, to be told she would
not tell me and "anyway, you got better than top tote"; ignorance,
arrogance, both?

I complained to NTRC and for the first and only time they did the correct
thing and soon after I got a ring from B365 giving me the breakdown.