[AusRace] They never let up re crops, do they?

Race Stats RaceStats at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 25 15:39:01 AEDT 2018

Len,
I respectfully disagree, what's new :)
That definition of Senile is the very ancient definition and does not encompass what it means today.
I know 50 year olds and younger who are senile.

"Everyone's mental acumen decreases along with their physical ability as they age, and Jory's certainly has."

My mother is nearly 92 and sharper than she ever was, her mental acumen is in fact better than when she was younger, because she is also a lot wiser.
Yes, her physical ability has declined, but she needs no aids to help her walk etc.

"Chris Munce donated a crop to my old football club, and the boys belted each other with it; of course it stung, like a slap from a missus stings, but it did not break skin or result in a bruise, and I warrant the boys were stronger even than Justin Sheehan and Mick Dittman. Horses of course have far thicker hides than the boys."

Breaking skin or resulting in a bruise is not the issue with hitting horses, it's the sting to try and make them go faster when they've tried their hearts out already.
Horses run from pain despite further injury to themselves internally.
They are more sensitive to pain and they have a very high flight response, much higher than any human.
Horses do not in most areas have thicker hides, people think they do because of their coats (even when trimmed).
As I said before, a horse can feel a fly on it's rear, and the flank of a horse which generally gets hit is very sensitive.

I am in no way an expert, but I'm a 5th generation horseman, have studied horses, watched them for hours, trained them, broken them in, saved many ex racehorses from slaughter, from firsthand experience, I do know that a horse feels the smallest of touches to it's "hide". I can just barely touch a horse I've trained on the flank and it will move to the opposite direction crossing it's hind legs.
Lindsay