[AusRace] Is Favourite-Longshot Bias dead ?

Paul womble at internode.on.net
Wed Mar 29 20:37:37 AEDT 2017

G'day Nick

Thanks for that - interesting figures

I can't remember what years the book was about but the number that
always stood out in my mind was that only 10% of 3rd favourites won.
Based on the numbers I've just checked for 15, 16 and 17ytd in your data
it's up over 13% each year which lines up more with where it should be.
There goes the plan of laying all 3rd favs to make money lol

I find it fascinating that despite having so much more information these
days and computers to churn through the numbers favs still win around
33% of races year in year out - although they are up a little more so
far in 2017 i'd be surprised if it doesn't even out once again.
Interestingly if you backed every favourite using your best price figure
you would've made a small profit each year.

Overall, fascinating figures Nick - thanks very much for giving us
access to them

Paul