[AusRace] API & Prizemoney Earnings are useless numbers

Mike McBain mikemcb at southcom.com.au
Fri Jul 21 16:03:31 AEST 2017

For those Punters that may consider comparing horses Career Earnings or the
API derived from Prizemoney please be very aware of the following.

AAP form information includes all the various bonus earnings that some
horses collect simply from being registered for Owners & Breeders incentives
and often paid for running a place as well as winning. AAP form is widely
distributed to Newspapers, TAB's and Subbies like Bestform.

Racing & Sports do not include VOBIS, SuperVOBIS, SABOIS or other Bonuses in
their Online form.

The problem that I see is that not all horses in a race are eligible for
these bonuses and so any comparisons using Horse Prizemoney or API are not
truly apples with apples.

We had a race at Geelong last Saturday where AAP had Prince Of Venice with
Earnings of $18415 while R&S showed the same horse with $8815 from its four
starts with a formline of 7th-6th-2nd-3rd. You can imagine the difference
those numbers made to the API? 2.2 compared to 4.6!

There have been many such anomalies  and in my opinion it makes those
particular form criteria useless numbers.

I am not aware if the same problem applies outside Australia?