[AusRace] An Enigma

terry styles terry_styles at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 3 15:16:55 AEST 2017

Tony,

Way back in the archives my post on systems using the 30/1 win of Henderson Bay gave some insight into what I was doing.... back then. But it should be a 'first principle' to do things differenlty to others given that the vast majority of 'others' lose. So anything done well ( some try and do things poorly due to unsound assumptions ) that results in you having your own unique data set to look at is a good start. Focusing on readiness and suitability for today's race is the next step.

An example of an unsound assumption, for some instances, is that a high place strike rate is a good thing. I'll give the result of a horse suitable for class 1 racing that has placed 5 out of 7 starts but all of those placings were in maiden class and it's running at 0% place for class 1 and above. Arguably the biggest class gap in racing is between maidens and class 1 so often such horses are a bad bet.

On average $$$ I think that the esteemed Mr Minnis used no less than 6 different ave prize money methods, of his own, to pin down suitability and competitiveness for 'today's' race. No doubt removing historical outlier results was one of them given crazy prize money in some races relative to the true class of the race.

Terry

ps Prefer other things now though to take advantage of 'variance'.