[AusRace] Fears as TAFE cuts courses for horses

L.B.Loveday lloveday at ozemail.com.au
Mon Feb 7 08:28:35 AEDT 2022

	 LACHLAN LEEMING
 MELBOURNE Cup winning jockey Darren Beadman fears the axing of
horse-related courses at a Western Sydney TAFE could have a
“devastating” impact on the racing ­industry.

TAFE’s Richmond facility will cut four equine-related courses,
including for stablehands and trackwork riders, in a move critics say
will gut the racing industry of hundreds of newcomers.

“It’s the entry point for training staff. I was fortunate when I
started in the racing game I came from a horsey b a c k g r o u n d ,
but some people don’t – and this is the grassroots of what the
industry requires to have the horse skills to handle horses,” said
Beadman (inset), now the race day operations manager at the top-class
Godolphin stables.

“Stables are wanting staff, there’s such a shortage of skilled
horsemen and horsewomen.

It’s something the industry desperately needs.”

But Skills and Training Minister Alister Henskens said enrolments in
equine courses at Richmond TAFE decreased by 92 per cent in the past
six years.

“During that time, other registered training organisations have seen
strong interest in equine courses,” Mr Henskens said.

“Prospective Western Sydney students can study equine courses
through other registered training providers.”