[AusRace] Was Apprentice Power - a system - now a discussion re systems

Tony Moffat tonymoffat at bigpond.com
Mon Jun 14 17:42:17 AEST 2021

Saintly asked – as below.

Although I don’t purposefully follow the systems I have  a few that I have got to work and they run along with other Excel sheets – often a human decision is required in deciding a bet in a system, eg ‘if it was 6/4 second last start and ran fourth or worse, then last start improved but started longer, do not back it today unless it is 9/1 with two minutes to start time today, or less than its average sp !! – this is a rule.

Not too many saw Tofane as a probable in the Stradbroke – although the Barwon plan had it as second out. The Hunter, Namoi, and Barwon Plans seemed to be based on mystical maths that just had to be sourced in fact. The Barwon asks you to divide the length of the race by the horse length and include this product in the next calculation(s), to divide the morning line by 1.5, the barrier and weight likewise then convert to lengths, sum everything and chose the lesser sums as your selections.

The Barwon is one of a suite of systems that work along every day. It has a weight clause whereby the light weights are penalised but the top weights not so much. It has also the requirement that you must involve the sp as well, although this element is minor than it might be it is still an element.

With Tofane so many systems would have had her cast out on a mare v horse rule. Somebody (VDW?) has said beware the heavy weighted mare, they run faster than their weight suggests, and was this the case in this race?

I had a flirt with doubles betting way back, with the Doomben 10000 into the Stradbroke, (and into the Cup as well) based on information in ‘The Australian Racegoer’s Guide to Backing Winners’  which was an annual list of good horses that was updated weekly. I know I had Lucky Guy in the Stradbroke when it won but did not do the wheel with the other runner(s) in the 10000, I had the winner of both just not the double, the worst sin. Was it Black Oynx? – I’ll Google it later.

There is a back story here too. I had malaria and it is a hell of a way to lose weight as you may know. Because of delirium, it’s prevention actually, I had to read aloud for an hour or more each day or show that I had read, studied, and walked for two hours. I got my copy of ‘the Guide’ during this time and I spent time making comparisons with weekend winners and those runners within. It is from that study that I chose the runners I did. My Boss at the time was a little harsh, claiming aloud that his best man was off ‘skiving’ and this during holidays. He thought I had hepatitis, which is way better than malaria, apparently. I had both. When I did get to work (it was some weeks later) it was in a ‘top secret location’ and there was no communication allowed between us and the outside world, except, letters in envelopes with windows in the face (ask the client why) and that is what the doubles sheets, and ratings sheets, had – windows! Mum re-directed my mail from just down the river at Oatley and those envelopes had the doubles bookmaker name , Francis Coast, on the front.

Cheers

Tony