[AusRace] Lost momentarily - there is some horse racing in this, also geography and geology

Tony Moffat tonymoffat at bigpond.com
Wed Apr 28 14:11:27 AEST 2021

Saintly, Sandtrack? Road.

I was part of three in a team, a geologist, palaeontologist, and Mumbles (de muscle)

There was great interest in marble – limestone when subjected to heat and pressure, as in deep underground, turns to marble, maybe. That marble is the most profitable rock there is, ok, apart from diamonds, it is valued at 5000 times greater than coal. Even I thought that was a strange analogy but the person who said it was in charge of the shares and maybe he was talking it up a tad.

Mount Clay nearby was a volcano that had lifted, domed, the underlying limestone. Stratigraphic work had shown limestone (marble?) at depth in the area and the hope was that the process had proceeded upwards to within quarry depth. I left before completion of our fieldwork so cannot say what they found, or didn’t. Since no marble extraction appears to have taken place I reckon the question has been answered. The LLC company was for sale for a long while and is no more, they held a lot of leases especially in NSW but none others for marble.

Mount Eccles (Eeles) was the bigger volcano a few miles north and visible. The flood basalt from that came south into the Fitzroy River and then followed that course to the sea, it is a wide puddle of hellish ground, locally known as “The Stones” and most of it absorbed, utilised and offered in Aboriginal myths. That flood came across the present day Princes Highway where it narrowed for once then widened again when it went south. The river was displaced and now runs on the western boundary of the lava field.  Darlots Creek was similarly put out and it too runs on the boundary on the eastern side. Out on the field there are pressure ridges, lava bubbles, tunnels and caves where the tunnels collapsed. It is grassed in a thin layer of red soil and is good sheep ground. I imagine those sheep have healthy hooves with no need of a podiatrist, the rocks see to that.

I met the geologist a year or so later. He told me he was out around the back of Mount Clay, near the golf course (Heywood) when a Tiger Moth took off from one of the fairways there (as you do) and then he saw a person walking up the fairway in the opposite direction, carrying a port (suitcase to non Queenslanders). It was a bi-plane anyway, which is what a Tiger Moth is. But did it land and drop its  passenger then take off again? ‘mazing. The same geologist was doing staff work (it’s a stick with graduations on it and used in levelling survey work) when lightning struck the fence behind him, and knocked him out. He wasn’t electrocuted, or burnt, just the enormous noise and pressure wave caused him to pass out and he got injured through that. (Un)lucky for some, because I would ordinarily have been doing the staff work on that job.

Cannot give a single sentence answer these days, eh?

Off the scene for a while again.

Cheers

Tony