[AusRace] Maxi Methods

Tony Moffat tonymoffat at bigpond.com
Tue Dec 31 12:14:04 AEDT 2019

Max (Maxi) may have been a journalist although s/he is not correctly
introduced in any of the 4 booklets printed and sold.

The author had an interest in the to-ings and fro-ings of jockeys as there
is an item concerning them in each of the booklets.
One theory is that of a family association between jockey, trainer, owner
and of course, the horse. There is a case made about
a runner bearing the family name (I won't give it), trained and owned by the
same family, ridden by another of them and it
won four (of 34) at good odds. You can see the reasoning  there, although
there is no mention of the reasons for the non-winnings on
30 other occasions - it was second 5 times, when favourite. Family
connections in racing do occur, I agree, and working back from the
jockey related to the trainer related to the owners must mean a time of
waiting, surely. Maxi insists that the familial line is to be obeyed,
although
often you see owners plus trainers related. I have no data on the viability
of following runners with connections. A trainer in NSW, whose child rides
exclusively, has a 3% win strike rate. Perhaps that is the horse not winning
as it should.

Whatever, Maxi espoused the method of deciding the best jockeys, from their
win/place records, the best horse, from their pre-race price
Then:
(a) find the best combinations, rated jockeys riding short priced horses
(b) find the best combinations of rated jockeys riding horses long in the
pre-race  market
(c) find the worst rated jockeys riding short priced horses
(d) find the best jockey, the best trainer (from their win/place records),
the best horse from the pre-race prices.

Sort the selections and bracket the commonalities from (a) to (d) - choose
your bets from these.

There are no detailed results although there is mention of 81 winners from
113 races in Sydney in 1969 - 81% off multiple system runners*.

An example:
Dubbo  R7 30/12/2019
Summary:-
Method A 5,7
Method B 3,7
Method C 2,6
Method D 5,3

Race result 5,2,3

Coffs R7 30/12/2019
Method A 7,3
Method B 5,3
Method C 6,nil
Method D 3,7

Race result 7,6,3

In the results I used AAP pre-race win prices. In reviewing numerous races
it became necessary to be
humanly subjective when choosing runners, there was often ties.

Another way, perhaps.

* 81% against 86% often quoted for backing the first 4 n the market.

Cheers

Tony
Happy New Year everyone