[AusRace] How to Get Better Odds Than TAB

sean mclaren seanmac4321 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 07:29:55 AEDT 2019

hello len

a wealth of info, as usual; i see.

i didn't see that coming i must admit.

Peter, i concede; that being able to predict the fav at 9.00 am; is
difficult.

Can I preface that by, if you haven't tried.

I have data, lots of it. So I went and attempted to do just that, some time
back.

The exercise was simply to improve my understanding of the wagering
landscape.

At the time, it wasn't an attempt to form any sort of wagering strategy.

Can I predict the favourite? What factors contribute to the arrival of the
fav?

Part of my daily routine sees me modelling, from time to time; different
sets of data.

Sometimes it's a blessing, sometimes it can be a curse.

Having loads of data, that is. Getting lost in the sea of data lol.

The results were positive.

I would encourage you Peter, and anyone else for that matter; to simply
practice.

Keep, what the MBA types call, a decision making journal. (michael
mauboussin)

A notepad, a spreadsheet ..... whatever.

Draw up column headings with MAIN factors.

Don't go wide. Simply use a Form Guide. A wealth of information at a glance.
Yes, you can use the 100 Score/Rating that's published.

In arriving at MAIN factors, to start with, simply use what you THINK.

As you move forward, perhaps it ain't what it seems.

I think it's Rob W, who coined the phrase " the lie of the eye".

In this case, maybe "the lie of what you think".

As the results flow, perhaps leave as is, if some other factor pops up,
then add to the side.

Even restart the cycle, with that added factor; if you want.

Peter, if you followed this exercise; your ability to predict the
favourite; surely has changed.

Do I need to say, we are not looking at winning favs here, simply what is
the FAV.

The purpose of me putting pen to paper, apologies for the wordiness; is to
simply challenge people's thinking.

And hopefully lead to better wagering.

Ponder this, sitting there at 8.45 am and seeing that your top selection is
on the 3rd line.

And, you predict your selection will be the SP Fav.

Ignore that it's your selection even.

Your selection is pre post Fav, and you predict another horse will be Fav.

Gotta stop. You can predict the fav. You won't do it with 100% accuracy.

The point is, your thinking has changed.

And it follows that you will make better wagering decisions.

.

having software would surely