[AusRace] Place Power - a system

L.B.Loveday lloveday at ozemail.com.au
Mon Apr 23 00:37:14 AEST 2018

Nick,

The 1.4m shows how many international races TAB bets on nowadays - I make it "only" 928,657 Oz runs in the last 5 years (plus a couple of non-TAB meetings over the weekend I'll pick up tomorrow), not all of which were TAB races (maybe only 825,697, but I'm less sure of that figure).

Your TAB VIC Trifecta loss of  20% presumably comes from their commission rate (21% on Oz races, 25% on international) but it may be of interest to some that backing all Trifecta combinations, viz taking FieldxFieldxField will return only around 67% (loss 33% ) - the long-shot effect is alive and well in Trifectas, as it is, and ever has been, in bookmaker markets; backing every horse at top price of the final markets of the bookmakers I track (average 108%) will return only around 86% (loss 14%) if all horses have the same amount bet on them - the 108% (indicating a 7.5% loss) only applies if each horse is backed to win the same amount.

Cheers,

LBL