[AusRace] Pete's Weekly Report

Er Nest earnestern at gmail.com
Sun Oct 15 09:17:00 AEDT 2017

We had planned the trip to the Everest some time ago; exactly why, however,
I'm not sure because when we went to Randwick on the third day of the
autumn carnival we were somewhat underwhelmed by the "new" Randwick.  But
more on that later.

I asked Linda if it would be wacky to have our (main) bet for the day on a
race that we would be run while we would be at lunch at the Queen Victoria
Building.  She said it wouldn't be.  The race in question was the Victory
Vein Plate.  I thought Legend Of Condor's trial was a cracker.  A lovely
colt, he jumped two lengths in front and was strong at the finish.  We
watched the race on Linda's phone and it was remarkably similar to the
trial; and exciting when, over the final 100 metres or so, he held off Spin
and won by what must be the perfect margin: Just enough to know you've won.

Trips to City Chic, Jacqui E, and Sephora followed and, at about
quarter-past-two, we arrived at Randwick, where an Indian student in a
high-visibility vest explained that the infield car park was full and
handed us a map with directions to an alternative and explained that there
was a shuttle bus.  Midway up High Street, however, there was a small spot
(it's good to have a Micra).

The shuttle bus took us to the (infield) gates.  Linda complained to the
African security guard that, unlike the group of English or Scottish girls
who were also on the shuttle bus, he didn't ask her for ID.

We headed for the (pretentiously-named) "Theatre of the Horse".  It was
overcast, which was nice because there's no shade when it's sunny.  "Where's
that?" Linda asked, as a race was being run on the screen above the
ring.  "Caulfield",
I replied.  Fast 'N' Rocking ran down Religify.  After that, horses began
assembling for the St Leger.  I was pleased to see this race reinstated.  The
timing is right, too, two weeks after The Metropolitan, which worked out
well for Big Duke, who was apprently well-found at about 7/4 in the days
leading up to the race.  Evidently very well-found at the "2.10" that he
eventually paid.

We then got hot chips and a lemonade and returned to the mounting yard
steps.  Linda then had the idea that she wanted to go to the stands to
watch the next race.  After ascending about 16 escalators we made our way
through a crowded room and toward the stands.  The stands were full, we
were told.  The $20 million stands were full.  Or was it $60 million.  In
any case, they were full.  We headed back down the 16 escalators.  At about
the time we got to the bottom, In Her Time was running down Ball Of Muscle.

We headed though more crowds (judging by the crowds who were not in the
stands, it's far from clear how many were in the stands).  If I had to have
a guess, however, I'd say the stands hold about 300 people.

We headed down to the fence at about the 250-metre mark.  A short time
later, the Everest horses came by.  Chautauqua was big and grey.  Tall and
long.  Redzel was short but stocky.  Enormous hindquarters.  Vega Magic.  You'd
never pick he was any good to look at.  English, with her untidy
double-blaze, skulked by.  Gradually, some of the 29,700 people who weren't
in the stands began to fill the lawn behind us.

Samantha Jade sung the National Anthem.  "What's she off?"  I asked
Linda.  "The
X-Factor", she replied, after checking her phone.  They got to the 600 in
quick time.  As they came past us, Redzel had a nice break.  English (who I
had used a bonus bet acquired via the rugby league Grand Final) was
slightly strung up and not doing enough.