[AusRace] Lengths per second score and stuff

Robert Ford kernow.fords at ntlworld.com
Thu May 11 23:09:44 AEST 2017

Tony,

Hong Kong and Japan give body weights and sectionals which is invaluable to
calibrate any model..
In UK where handicaps dominate they refuse to provide that data.

Power production and power availability is determined from sectionals, horse
stride kinetics, stride length and cadence, the going at that section
(you now have some Turftrax maps in Oz), gradient, curve and drafting. You
can observe when the production peaks and falters.
The analysis can only be done by computer.

Bob Wilkins is from Manchester University in UK.
His analysis method is complex enough but misses out a lot of the practical
details and that available energy is not produced evenly.
Some of this comes from the lack of pre-race warm up and some that horse
differ in how quickly in the race their energy production levels rise.
The even pace theories are not what happens in reality. We know it does not
happen at the start or finish but it is uneven in the middle also.

I think it is more reliable for judging fitness visually by comparing what
things look like today as compared to the last two races.
Now we have wall to wall racing that has become impractical unless you cut
out 90% of racing.

Best wishes,
Robert