[AUSRACE] Calcutta Rules ?

Byanose byanoseau at yahoo.com.au
Fri Oct 19 18:43:02 WST 2001

Hi All,

Bill Hobbs is correct. To my knowledge, only sporting
clubs can be granted a licence to conduct a calcutta
in Victoria. I have been involved in the organizing
and running of calcuttas on numerous occasions in the
past. The procedure has been as follows.

1. Tickets are sold to enter the draw. Usually about
$1.00 each.
2. At the conclusion of the ticket sales, generally
just before the start of the proceedings, the numbers,
in the way of marbles similar to a tattslotto draw,
are shown to everybody present to verify the same
amount of marbles to the amount of tickets sold.
3. This amount, say 3156 tickets sold, is the starting
amount of the pool.
4. The horses, whose names have been written on cards,
are, one by one, shown to everybody and placed in a
barrel.
5. The horse is drawn first, followed by a number from
the ticket sales barrel. The ticket holder is then
written on a board displaying all the horses, as the
drawer of the horse.
6. At the conclusion of the drawing of horses, the
auction begins, usually after a lengthy break to
enable everybody to get 3 sheets to the wind and
reckless.
7. The horses are then auctioned. The horses names are
returned to the barrel. As each horse is drawn it is
auctioned. Fifty percent (50%) of the price paid for
the horse goes to the drawer of the horse, a following
percentage, usually 2.5% is removed, going to the club
organizing the calcutta to cover expenses and a small
profit, the remainder is added to the pool. If the
drawer of the horse buys it he natuarally pays only
50% of the auctioned price for it. The total of the
pool is calculated and announced prior to each horse
being auctioned. The dividend to the placegetters is
usually 65/25/10

Regards,

John

Roman Kozlovski <romankoz at ozemail.com.au> wrote: > In
99% of Pubs/Clubs it's the way EJ has shown.